Deck shoes, also known as boat shoes, are a type of casual footwear that is characterised by a leather upper and a rubber sole with a non-marking tread. They were originally designed for sailors, who needed a shoe that would provide traction on wet decks. However, deck shoes quickly became popular with other outdoor enthusiasts, and they are now a staple of many country clothing enthusiasts wardrobes.
A Brief History of Deck Shoes
The history of deck shoes can be traced back to the early 1900s. In 1935, Paul Sperry, an American inventor, sailor and outdoorsman, was looking for a way to improve the traction of his shoes on wet decks. He noticed that his dog, Prince, was able to run easily on ice without slipping. After closer inspection, Sperry saw that Prince's paws had tiny grooves that helped to grip the surface. Sperry decided to replicate these grooves on the soles of his shoes, and he soon invented the first pair of deck shoes.
Sperry's deck shoes were an instant success with sailors, and they quickly became the standard footwear for boating. In the years since, deck shoes have become popular with other outdoor enthusiasts, such as fishermen, golfers, and tennis players. They are also a popular choice for casual wear, and they can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
Qualities and Uses
Today, there are many different brands of deck shoes available on the market. Deck shoes are typically made from leather or canvas, and they come in a variety of colours and styles.
If you are looking for a comfortable and stylish pair of casual shoes, then deck shoes are a great option. They are perfect for a day at the beach, a round of golf, or a casual night out. With so many different brands and styles to choose from, you are sure to find the perfect pair of deck shoes to suit your needs.
Additional facts & tips for choosing and wearing deck shoes
- The original deck shoes were made with a white rubber sole to prevent them from leaving marks on the decks of boats.
- Choose a pair of deck shoes that are made of high-quality leather or canvas.
- Deck shoes can be dressed up or down, and they can be worn with a variety of different outfits.
- Look for a pair of shoes with a non-slip sole.
- Deck shoes are a versatile and stylish footwear option that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Choose a pair of shoes that fit well and are comfortable to wear.
- Avoid wearing deck shoes in wet or muddy conditions.
- Clean your deck shoes regularly to keep them looking their best.
- With proper care, a pair of deck shoes can last for many years.
Click here to see our full range of Mens & Ladies Deck Shoes from brands such as Le Chameau, Hoggs of Fife and Dublin Equestrian.